27 June 2006

goddamnit

"author jk rowling has said two characters will die in the seventh and final harry potter book... one character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

god. i hate knowing crap like that. [!!kate and anyone who hasn't read all the harry potter books, stop now!!] i spent the entirety of the third book whispering, 'pleasenotsirius, pleasenotsirius,' and we saw how well that worked out. i mean, sure, fine, she's going to kill off characters. the bbc article goes on:

Rowling said she could understand why authors might want to finish off their main characters in order to ensure they could never be resurrected.

She would not say if this would be the case with Harry.

However, she admitted she had "never been tempted to kill him off before the final because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books".
totally cool. i'm not saying 'goddamnit' because i don't want rowling to kill the characters off. it's totally her right. rock on. but don't tell me about it! because now all i'll have going through my head is 'twoofthemaregonnadie, twoofthemaregonnadie.' which one of ron & hermione will it be, right? it's these damn clues. and even when it's not about who's-gonna-die, we're sitting here trying to be the first ones to figure out who the half-blood prince is or whatever. it's one thing for that speculation, pre-publication, to get you through the day at your crap-ass talent agency job (for example), where harry potter is the one thing you have in common with your co-worker, but when it comes to reading, i'd really rather not know.

i don't read the backs of books any more. i've even learned to not flip ahead to see how many pages there are because who knows what i might see. (cloud atlas and extremely loud and incredibly close learned me that lesson but good.) i just want to be suprised. is that too much to ask?

6 comments:

John said...

The problem with all of this, of course, is that Harry Potter sucks ass and is indicative of the overall decline of English-Speaking culture at the hands of predictability and pretty-packaging.

:-)

Jaime said...

john, you know there's practically no realm of life in which i don't favor you over the above-mentioned talent agency co-worker, right? the one we all knew was that her boobs are totally better than yours. (god i hope she reads this.) but babe, we might have to add taste in books. not that i liked her other books. so, um... appreciation for harry potter. seriously, john. it's a major personality flaw.

John said...

I have *delectable* literary taste. I dabble. I savor. I chew the literature, I suck in some oxygen while I read and let that really unlock the bouquet and subtle tastes, textures and fruits of the literature. And do you know what happens when I suck in a little oxygen to unlock the bouquet of Harry Potter? It tastes like I've thrown up in my mouth.

PS: The opening of Extremely Safran and Incredibly Foer is one of the best openings I've ever read.

Jeremy said...

My problem with Extremely Loud is that it's a really basic and unoriginal story when you strip away all the postmodern trappings. And I usually like pomo, but in this case, it all felt incredibly pretentious -- especially since the main character is the kind of incorrigible know-it-all that I'd likely avoid in real life and fear ever becoming -- that I kept stripping away the embellishments in my mind, hoping for some depth. But I never really got any. You read the beginning, you read the end, and it's like very little has changed. He's still just inventing ways to undo the uncontrollable past.

I loved JSF's The Sixth Borough, though, which first appeared in the NYTimes. I wish the rest of his work could be as elegant and unpretentious as that.

Josh said...

While on the topic of insufferable know-it-alls - Sirius dies in four.

Jaime said...

josh, you know i think of you every time i see an ad for 'nacho libre.'

archives