15 August 2006

fringe report one, and probably only

Have I mentioned that I'm scared of the Fringe yet? (Have I also mentioned that I think I've outgrown my all-lowercase thing?) Well, I am. It's completely intimidating in scope, and even more frightening because the quality/professionalism is so variable, tending towards the low end of things. Last summer James and I saw a not-so-good musical, which we saw because it was a medieval morality play. This is the sort of thing that gets me in a theatre. (I picked up a postcard for an adaptation of "The Yellow Wallpaper" today, but even I have the wisdom to know that can't be any good. Someone plays the woman, and someone plays the wallpaper.)

Another thing that gets my ass in a seat is an actor I like. So today I saw Corleone: The Shakespearean Godfather mostly (okay, entirely) for one Nick Cordileone, who's done readings for us at work, and who's great. (He was also great in this.) I didn't have a bad time, and definitely enjoyed myself in parts. It's well-acted, well-written (the Shakespearizing is very well done), funny and fun. The basic thing is this - if you're familiar with the Godfather, you'll love this. The problem is, because I apparently grew up under a rock, I'm not. Still didn't think it was bad, but if it had been, like, a Shakespearizaton of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," I might have gotten more out of it. If you happen to love Shakespeare and The Godfather, walk, don't run.

No comments:

archives