20 September 2006

Bookworming

Despite what the little red picture over to the right might imply, I've been done with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for quite a few days now. And I don't know what to read next. James has Special Topics in Calamity Physics coming in the mail, and I've got Jonathan Franzen's new memoir* coming from the library, but neither's here now, and neither's quite what I'm in the mood for. The problem is probably that I don't know what I'm in the mood for, but nothing we have at home's catching my eye. So. Tell me what's good. I love few things as much as talking about favorite books. (Oh, for the days of working the info desk at Barnes & Noble.) So tell me your favorites, and the ones you think I should read. (Bonus points if you do this in the comments here, but email's also fine.)

----------
*And can I just say how dumb the NYTimes review seemed to me when it didn't mention How to be Alone? Aside from being a fantastic collection of essays, it would have been really relevant - the review went on about how the new memoir (I say "new" because How to be Alone was basically essay-memoirs) is basically cocky and distancing, which The Corrections is also, but it's a more off-putting quality in a memoir, I guess. But HtbA *isn't* cocky and distancing, and actually counteracts the cocky/distancing effect of The Corrections, and this omission from the review, the complete ignoring of the book's existence, was a major flaw in my opinion.

3 comments:

John said...

So I know suggesting books by high school authors is lame. We're over that, right? And everyone read "The Things They Carried" in high school (how I remember finishing it lying on my bed, black hardcover copy from Memorial Hall Library, dust jacket ripped). But...have you read "Going After Cacciato" by Tim O'Brien? I don't ususally like war books...but it's pretty tremendous.

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaime said...

First, John, way to post your comment twice. Second, make no assumptions about "high school" books - remember, I went to a crap-ass school. Senior year (AP English Lit) we read *two* books - Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Cry the Beloved Country. So we didn't just read two books. We read two books that SUCKED.

archives