06 September 2006

MoCo Report, part 2, of sorts: The Show

As much as I'd like to think it's so, the world doesn't actually stop when I'm sick, coming to a dead halt so I can spend my days on the couch with a blanket and a cat, with nothing to worry about but where my next bowl of soup is coming from. (Thanks, Kate!) So just like I have to be here reading plays and pretending to make any sense when I write about them, I have to keep writing for you, all twenty-something of you who read this.*

Of course, now that it's been almost a week, and I'm still not entirely emerged from my Tylenol Cold haze, I don't have so much of an essay to write on Mother Courage any more. I said to one of my bosses yesterday that I like seeing Brecht because it makes me think about theatre. I think I'm one of only two people in the city who loved the recent Broadway Threepenny. (But James was the other, so I know we're right.) I can't say that I loved Mother Courage. I thought the production was fantastic. (Except the projections at the end - why the pain and stupidity?) I thought the cast, except for the stiff and speechy Eilif, was wonderful. Did Meryl Streep ever wholly absorb me, knock me out, or blow me away? No. But do I think she was doing exactly and perfectly what she and the production wanted her to do? Yes. I don't think it was the sort of performance that was supposed to knock my socks off. It's never going to captivate or overwhelm me - it's Brecht. And if it leaves me thinking about theatre as a form, rather than war, well, after 70 years, that's not too bad. Of course, what exactly it made me ponder is lost now, to the cold, late night, and the several days of sneezing and coughing. But still so glad I went. Even with the 13-hour wait. And the cold. I can't put my finger on exactly why it was worth all that, but it definitely was.

Coming soon: The Pain and the Itch at Playwrights Horizons, The Deepest Play Ever: The Catharsis of Pathos from CollaborationTown at Fringe Encores, and maybe I'll actually write about something other than theatre and my cats.


--------
*Especially you, reader in Mexico. Statcounter not only tells me how few many people read this, but also where y'all live, and you, compañero, have my curiosity piqued. How totally creeped out are you now? Lo siento. No tenía la intención de ser una gran demente. Ni tampoco tenía la intención de matar totalmente el idioma español.

2 comments:

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate said...

1. i wanna know WHY that other post was removed by the authors. was it... sexy?
2. your welcome for the soup! much more where that came from! which is, of course, a bag.

archives