04 November 2006

Los Diciembristos

I did not expect Colin Meloy to be so... nice. I expected a little pretension, a little seriousness, maybe a little too-good-for-this... you know, that Ben Gibbard atittude (whom Colin Meloy LOOKS JUST LIKE). But he's one of the warmest, friendliest performers I've ever seen. Dude loves being on stage, rocking out to his strange little songs. It was fantastic. The Decemberists crowd wasn't really what I expected - the young kids where a little more generic, to judge on appearances for a bit, a little more future UPenn student, that I'd have thought. But I don't know if I've ever been in a concert crowd where every single person knows every single word to every single song as much as these kids. And that's always great.

It was a really wonderful show - say all you want that The Decemberists are gimicky (they are), or annoying (they aren't!), but I love their music, their lyrics are amazing, and they're some damn fine performers. At the end of the night Matt and I were having some very old-personish lower back reactions to standing in a crowd for four hours, which we remedied, naturally, with diner food. Reminiscent of high school in a nice way. (The tired after-party at a diner, not the aches and pains.) (But caveat emptor - that diner attached to the New Yorker Hotel at 34th and 8th? A little... yucky. Matt's fries, which came with his scrambled eggs, were a little hamburgery, a little cheesy - obviously reused.) Rock concert, sketchy diner food - some of the best memories of my youth. (And if saying that a concert gave me lower back pain isn't a way to sound old...)

And if everything weren't wonderful enough, the pre-show music, between the opening act (the lovely if wrong-for-this-crowd Alastair Roberts) and The Decemberists? Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. The narrated version, with a woman who sounds like Julie Andrews but I can't identify on the internet. Took me directly back to my fourth grade music classroom. Brilliant.

Tonight: That puppet show at HERE whose name I can never remember, an oak tree.
Sunday: Borat!, Coast of Utopia.
Monday: splat.

3 comments:

John said...

Funny because over where I was, a mere 6 bodied back and 10 feet left, nobody knew a single word, but the high school girl behind us definitely knew how to give her boyfriend head...which she did...right behind us. Yup.

corley said...

Sadly, I was forced to miss the Decemberists when they were in Austin. My boyfriend said that they were incredible, and similarly every one knew every word. But that the crowd was primarily made up of Emo kids - more than you'd expect

Jester said...

Greetings from California! I’m trying to view as many of the sites participating in NaBloPoMo as I can (there are a lot). I’m only commenting on the ones I like, and I had to stop and say hi.

I'm a late comer to the Decemberists fan club... I bought Picaresque on a complete whim around Christmas time last year and fell in love with them. Seriously, I think I listen to 16 Military Wives and The Sporting Life at least once a day. The newest album seems pretty good, though different. I'll try to catch them the next time they swing through Northern Cal.

Catch ya around!

archives