18 December 2006

Weekend Catch-Up, or: I Am the Axis of Evil

Does anyone know anything about South Street Seaport on New Year's Eve? I've done what I think is a thorough internet search, to no avail. I've heard that it's a nice place to be, if cold, but I can't tell if that requires an expensive Circle Line ticket or an expensive night in a club, or if you can walk around and enjoy it and maybe catch some of the fireworks.

* * *

Another spate of conversation about new play development and bad dramaturgy, or "development hell," or "the evils of what Jaime does," has sprung up in the theatre kids' table at the blogosphere ("blogoteria," to continue the shaky metaphor?). A walking tour: start with Mark's post, and make sure to read the comments. Then, read Isaac's take/response. Finally, head over to read what Jason Grote has to say. I might be the only presumptive dramaturg blogging (that I know of - and at least one blogroll lists me as "Surplus: a 'turg speaks," which is more pressure than I'm prepared for), but Jason's actually walking the walk - aside from being a fantastic playwright (and blogger), he co-chairs Soho Rep's Writer/Director Lab, a bastion of non-evil (I've heard) development work. He's also incredibly smart, and has given me (as has this whole discussion) a lot to think about regarding what I do and how I do it, and what I want to do when I grow up.

* * *

I promise this is the last of the birthday posts. It won't drag out for more than a week.

Saturday night, James and I jointly celebrated our December birthdays by inviting our friends out to a bar so they could buy drinks for us. The plan worked smashingly. There was a good mix of friends - college friends who all know each other, post-college friends who know the college friends, and new-to-the-mix work friends. One of James' work friends brought a college friend of hers - he turned out to be one of those agents who's collecting all the great, young-ish, daring playwrights I love. He was wonderful, and it meant I get to write off the whole night as a business meeting. Tax season approaches!

I also got some wonderful presents. Some friends are taking me to shows (Michael - Spring Awakening, James - Slava's Snowshow, John - Spring Awakening), but some went the materialistic way, and I'm glad. Obligatory gifts are annoying, but receiving perfect, personal gifts from loved ones is a wonderful thing, for the great stuff you get, and from having friends who know you so well. Volume one of The Sandman; a lace parasol from Amsterdam (I spent all of last summer, pasty and hiding from the sun, wishing for one and unable to find one in New York - the Dutch provenance is just an added bonus); a fantastic necklace - one on side of the pendant there's a childlike line drawing of a dragon breathing fire, and on the other side, a stick-figure alien underneath a small red star; and this, from Kate:


If I ever acclimate to the taste of whiskey, it's going to be very funny to drink it out of this.

I share this list of gifts not to show off, but because the list (comic book graphic novel, hot pink flask, lace parasol, dragon/martian necklace) says so much about me, my friends, and my marriaging potential. Things are looking reeeaaaallly good. Get'er while you still can.

* * *

Last night, James and I ushered The Agony and the Agony. (Doesn't Nicky Silver look like David Eigenberg in that picture?) Out of respect for the philosophy behind the Vineyard's Lab Productions, of which I'm a big fan, I won't critique the show, but I do want to say that Cheyenne Jackson is really freaking good. If you only know him as that guy who played Elvis in that (philosophically, for-the-future-of-theatre) scary jukebox musical, don't write him off. He's really good, and really funny. And he's got these crazy eyes. I don't know how else to describe them.

After walking down (yes! the whole way! because we didn't want to go to the gym!) to Union Square and picking up some fake coffee at Whole Foods, we killed some time in the Union Square holiday market. Well, the plan was to just kill time, but I realized we were near the booth of an artist whose work I love (I'd found her last time I was there), so we headed over. I actually discovered her last Union Square holiday market. After much drooling over her work, I took her card, and vowed to buy something when I could afford it. Here we are, a year later, and I've got this unfounded sense of financial stability from a couple of birthday presents. And there's a new necklace at the stand. And I try it on. And hand over my credit card. It looks something like this:


but a little bigger, and on a chain with large, thin links. She has more photo pieces, and other jewelry as well. As far as things go, it's very reasonable. And gorgeous. Visit her at the fair, or go to her website, here.

4 comments:

Malachy Walsh said...

Oh, you can take the pressure.

MCC said...

i saw the agony and the agony as well. cheyenne jackson was hilarious. and f-ing hot as hell.
we should talk more about it.

anna said...

aww, you're making me miss nyc. not to mention you/james.

Jason Grote said...

Hey, thanks Jaime! And keep it up - I think we should hear form more dramaturgs on the internets...

archives