29 January 2007

On the List of Songs I Knew All the Words To

I'm trying to read Jason Grote's play, 1001, which is getting all sorts of fabulous love as it's world premiering in Denver right now, and I say "trying" not because I'm getting stuck in the hypertext-inspired structure, or stymied by the encyclopedic references. No, I'm just incapable of reading the name "Scheherazade" without getting "Friend Like Me" from Aladdin stuck in my head. And "stuck" is not nearly violent enough a word for how this song clings and rattles about and completely monopolizes my consciousness.

Later, after I've maybe actually read the play (which I'm very excited about), I'll write something real, probably about the crazy avant-garde theatre I saw this weekend (365 at Ars Nova, Fluke by Radiohole), and how dressed up like a hipster to go to Williamsburg for the first time in over a year.

No comments:

archives