27 February 2007

BREAKING Months-Old News

Times article today about the 2007-2008 season at the Met, here. Great, whatever. Playbill article on the same, theatrically-slanted, here. Blah blah, wonderful, but wait! Take a look at that first paragraph again:

Theatre vets John Doyle, Mary Zimmerman, Adrian Noble and Phelim McDermott[!!!] (Shockheaded Peter) will be among the directors helming new productions during the Metropolitan Opera's 2007-08 season... [over-enthusiastic emphasis mine.]

This is where I gawp at my computer screen, not believing my luck to, like, be alive and live where this production will be happening. From just that paragraph I don't even know what it is yet, but I already can't wait for 2008. Then the Playbill article points us (me) to a PlaybillArts article from almost three months ago that makes me a very excited little girl:

Satyagraha, Philip Glass's 1980 opera about the early career of Mohandas K. Gandhi, will receive its Metropolitan Opera premiere in 2008 in a collaboration with the English National Opera in London.

The staging will be directed by Phelim McDermott and designed by Julian Crouch, co-artistic directors (along with Lee Simpson) of the London theater company Improbable...

Improbable! The people that not only brought us Shockheaded Peter and (soon, I think) the stage adaptation of Neil Gaiman's The Wolves in the Walls, but Spirit at New York Theatre Workshop, one of the most brilliant and indescribable things ever. I often (surprisingly often) talk about wanting to move to London to join the circus and sweep their floors, largely because of that show. I don't know how I feel about Philip Glass - my experience with him is limited to a midnight organ concert during freshman orientation (pain) and the score to The Hours (not pain) - but I can't profess enough love for the artists of Improbable, and cannot wait to see what this turns out to be.

1 comment:

Moxie said...

Spirit was so amazing, so beautiful, so transcendent. Have you seen Koyaanisqatsi? It's a very weird but brilliant documentary from 82 that Phillip Glass did the music for, and it's pretty amazing. If you liked Spirit I bet you'd be into it. I think it's on netflix.

archives