26 June 2007

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is, For Free

I really like being able to say, "Hey, I like these bands. What else would I like?" That's why I like having cool friends who know a lot about music, and that's why I like Pandora. I like listening to jazz while I read when my boss is out of the office. I also liked, when working a summer in the telemarketing office at Playwrights Horizons, listening to an endless Broadway mix tape and talking about "The West Wing" with a kid who, if you squinted or were drunk or having a sad first summer in the city, looked like John Gallagher, Jr.

My way of life is under attack.

Tim, founder of Pandora, writes:

I'm sorry to say that today Pandora, along with most Internet radio sites, is going off the air in observance of a Day Of Silence. We are doing this to bring to your attention a disastrous turn of events that threatens the existence of Pandora and all of internet radio. We need your help.

Ignoring all rationality and responding only to the lobbying of the RIAA, an arbitration committee in Washington DC has drastically increased the licensing fees Internet radio sites must pay to stream songs. Pandora's fees will triple, and are retroactive for eighteen months! Left unchanged by Congress, every day will be like today as internet radio sites start shutting down and the music dies.

A bill called the "Internet Radio Equality Act" has already been introduced in both the Senate (S. 1353) and House of Representatives (H.R. 2060) to fix the problem and save Internet radio--and Pandora--from obliteration.

I'd like to ask you to call your Congressional representatives today and ask them to become co-sponsors of the bill. It will only take a few minutes and you can find your Congresspersons and their phone numbers by entering your zip code here.

Your opinion matters to your representatives - so please take just a minute to call.

I usually only pick up the phone to my representatives to talk about reproductive rights and environmental issues - I'm just phone-shy - but I need to grow up and put the teensiest bit of action towards what I believe in. (I'm also going to see if Rep. Carol Maloney wants to pass on sending me a thank-you-for-calling letter - saving trees and internet radio in one very small fell swoop.)

1 comment:

riese said...

I think this applies to last fm as well which makes me want to dieeeeee. No not really (that's a tender thing for me to say right now), but you know what I mean?

archives