02 July 2007

Backstage Catblogging With The Sunrise

I wish I had started writing this a few hours ago, because "It's 3:45am and I'm backstage at the Atlantic Theater" is, I think, more impressive than "It's 5:26am..." but I've been here since 9 last night! And I've been here awake since three! I am so badass and up early/late.

In case you've forgotten, I'm co-producing The 24 Hour Plays: Old Vic New Voices, wherein six writers write plays overnight, and then we rehearse them during the day, and they go up that night, and everyone's 18-25. Which means I'm basically spending 24 hours at the Atlantic. Which is a lovely place. With a lovely Equity cot air mattress. Which I slightly wish I were still on.

It's 5:30am and four of the six writers have finished, and I just gave a half-hour warning to the remaining two. That Equity air mattress...

And I was all "I'm not gonna Monday Catblog because I'll be at the 24 Hour Plays all day," but honestly, right now Kate, who's here as a PA, is sitting on the (incredibly comfortable) couch reading Allure, because there's that much to do, so let me give you some 5:34 in the morning pictures of cats.


(I did take my midnight-to-three nap with a pillow on my head. It blocked the light.)



I feel that this squirrel captures things nicely, no?

4 comments:

Tina-cious.com said...

Psh... don't know HOW you do it...

Wish I could see the play! :)

Jaime said...

It's not actually that hard. I just like to whine a lot. I feel worse for my co-producers - I lost all of my meager abilities of diplomacy and not being a bossy bitch somewhere around seven this morning.

riese said...

Don't the people who's plays go later like, get less good reception 'cause everyone's so tired? I'd be scared that I'd have to go last and everyone'd be like "zzzzz."

Jaime said...

Riese - Either I don't understand your question, or I never explained the process. The plays are written from 11pm-6am, rehearsed from 9am-5pm, and go up at 8pm for an audience of about 175 people (the theatre was full) including my mom and Timothy Busfield. It's (was) 6 short plays - the whole thing ended at 10pm. (And then we went to the afterparty and stayed up later.) And I gave Timothy Busfield directions to the loo.

archives