03 September 2007

100 Saints You Should Know

Saturday afternoon I finished Bee Season, finishing it in a clean week. To make up for the seven years I took with The Broom of the System. I mostly loved the book. Lovely writing, a lovely and engaging story - I kept almost missing my stop on the subway. The ending needed me to go places, belief-wise, that I wasn't prepared to go, but I still give the book 1 3/4 thumbs up and recommend you read it. (And no, reading the book doesn't make the Decemberists song make any more sense.)

* * *

I used to be a script reader for The Vineyard, and there were a few plays I read then that I loved very much and haven't forgotten. There's probably some logic to the timing, but there's a sudden bounty of productions of those plays. Okay, two productions isn't exactly a deluge, but it's more that I've seen since leaving the V'yard. If we could just get Jorge CortiƱas' Bird in the Hand happening really fast, that'd be a great trifecta.

First was Opus, which played at Primary Stages and which I saw right before it closed. Basically a really good soap opera about a string quartet, I really loved watching this play. Thoroughly enjoyed it, where "enjoy" isn't its usual generic-word self, but very specifically captures how I felt.

Next up was 100 Saints You Should Know at Playwrights Horizons, which I've already blogged about maybe seventeen times, first in context of Playwrights' stellar season, and also because the cast is amazing. This is a really beautiful, delicate, perceptive play, one of those great sad & funny incredibly true portraits of humanity. I still remember when in my script report for the Vineyard writing about the power of these characters who desperately want to connect, try valiantly, and still come up short. I can talk all I want about not liking realism, but beautiful writing is beautiful writing, and Kate Fodor's play is beautiful. And lucky for you, there are several ways to see it for cheap:

1. Subscribe to Playwrights Horizons. It's the best way to get the cheapest tickets, and, trust me, you want to see the rest of this season. (I'm going to get fired for being such a shill for another theatre, but whatever.) If you're under 30, this can work out to $20/ticket, and you can even share that subscription. (Or $10/ticket if you're a student!)

2. If you really just want to see 100 Saints, you can get tickets for $50 (rather than the usual $65) by using code SABL when you order.

3. You might be able to usher. I'm not sure, but if you'd be interested, e-mail me, and I can find out, and put you in touch with the right person. Then you'd get to see the show for free.

* * *

I'm considering retiring Surplus Official Monday Catblogging. I'm kind of tired of it, and that's added to my already hesitance about being That Girl Who Blogs About Cats. On the other hand, it means I blog every Monday, and I generally hate quitting things. (See: 10 years of vegetarianism and counting. Don't see: My job at the Brown Bookstore.) But anyway, until I actually decide, here's something odd, and maybe cute, which could describe most lolcats, but in this case is different:



Happy Monday, and seriously, I hope you enjoyed it. And thought about the workers.

No comments:

archives