19 September 2007

This Weekend

I really like jazz. I also really don't know anything about it. One semester in college I drove a 1am-3am shuttle shift, and WBUR's late-night jazz kept me awake for many loops around the campus. So there's that, and my recent addiction to cooking to AccuRadio's AccuJazz station("the art of improvisation"). Neither of these exposures, though, imparts any sort of knowledge - I listen, and like a lot of what I hear, but that's all I know. I also generally have no idea how to go about hearing more. So hopefully James will be game with letting this be our pre-Misanthrope Sunday afternoon plans:

Jazz on the Riverbank
featuring:
Shamarr Allen and the Hot 8 Brass Band
The Chico O'Farrill Afro-Cuban Jazz Orchestra directed by Arturo O'Farrill
George Gee's Jump, Jivin' Wailers
Riverbank State Park
679 Riverside Drive at 145th Street
1:00 - 6:30 pm
Free performance
Craft and Food Vendors

I don't really know what to expect, beyond understanding that global jazz is not the same thing as the half-a-century old music of my late-night NPR listening, but it still sounds really cool. Especially the Jump, Jivin' Wailers. It's part of the Columbia/Harlem Festival of Global Jazz, which is going on for a week, starting today. The full schedule's here.


[via UPTOWNflavor]

No comments:

archives