11 December 2007

Seriously, TS? 23?

For my last 22 minutes of being 24, what better to do than make myself feel inadequate. From Isaac I find this particularly timely website, Things Other People Accomplished When They Were Your Age. At 24...

Nelly Bly made a solo trip around the world in less than 80 days for the New York World, beating Phileas Fogg's fictional record.

Radioastronomy grad student Jocelyn Bell Burnell observed an unknown signal from outer space; this resulted in the discovery of pulsars.

John Couch Adams became the first person to predict the position of a planetary mass beyond Uranus.

Johannes Kepler defended the Copernican theory and described the structure of the solar system.

Security guard Frank Wills alerted D.C. police to the Watergate break-ins.

Rainey Fellows donated a kidney to her (now ex-) boyfriend. They aren't together now, but he's doing very well. They're still friends.

At 23 [and wow, these are much worse]...

T. S. Eliot wrote "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

John Keats wrote "Ode on a Grecian Urn."

Novelist, playwright, and short-story writer Carson McCullers wrote her acclaimed first book, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.

[At 24, Jaime found out that Carson McCullers is a she.]

What do I need to top in the next year? At 25...

Never mind, that list sucks. I'm awesome. For at least 13 more minutes.

4 comments:

Johnny said...

He wrote P-Rock at 24?!?!

I had no idea.

I feel so betrayed.

Briel said...

you think THAT's depressing? You should try wikipedia-ing all of the people born the same year as you. Most of them are sports stars...but still. they're allowed to have wikipedia entries, and we're...not.

(HAPPY BIRTHDAY)

Ellen said...

I bet the other people on the 24 list feel resentful of Frank Wills' inclusion. I mean, all he had to do was his job... not that it wasn't a lucky break for him. I mean, he got to be in "All the President's Men"!

riese said...

I didn't know about Carson McCullers being a she until I was 25. If anyone's keeping count (which no one is, including Wikipedia), I just turned 26.

archives