19 December 2007

Several Things, Each Briefly, Which Together Make Quite a Lengthy Post

[Non-theatre content farther down.]

Cyrano
sucked. One of the least interesting things I've ever seen. Kevin Kline is masterful, Jennifer Garner is fine, and I still heart Euan Morton, but just such a waste of air and time and a really crap set. Despite the odd moments of lovely language, the play is laaaaaame. And the opera glasses I actually remembered to bring didn't work for shit. John tried to console me: "I know Cyrano was awful, but if you want, I can show you where Tony Kushner lost his virginity. To the inch." (He's talking about this, which I've yet to read, but I'm sure is wonderful.)

* * *

Humana's announced their lineup for the 2008 festival. What's making me sad I can't go this year? Carly Mensch's All Hail Huricane Gordo, the Civilians, and a short play by Mike Lew.

* * *

Rocco put out a call for haiku comments on any plays his readership has recently seen. Most responded to Rocco's love for August: Osage County. Reader Mondschein wrote:

At the theatre
O'Neill and Inge were better
Still it's impressive

To which I reply:

Why always compare?
Tracy does his thing so well.
Besides, O'Neill sucks.

(Everything O'Neill:
"Waah, my dad was a big drunk."
I get it. Move on.)

Sue me.

* * *

Rocco also reports from London:

Billy, oh Billy
You danced and I cried for hours.
Broadway will wreck you.

* * *

Despite penning my own invitation (which at least one person said was funnier than James', despite its lack of British spellings and loquacity), my birthday gathering on Saturday was lovely. I heartily recommend The Dove Parlo(u)r for bargoing and parties. Aside from serving absinthe, they have a brilliant little cocktail list - I can't decide if it's old-school, classy, or both - with ingredients like honey, ginger, and cinnamon. And soy milk. It was a lovely evening.

Also, the vegan pizza birthday dinner was amaaaaazing.

* * *

Other recommendations:

Nicole at DopDop, who miraculously is always worth the obscene amounts of money they're charging for haircuts.
Dr. Feigenbaum. He makes allergy testing fun. Today he was wearing a hoodie under his suit, and totally pulled it off.

* * *

I can't believe that not only did I just blog about my allergist, I linked to, like, the allergist equivalent of his facebook page.

* * *

Speaking of facebook, I discovered last night that my high school theatre director/modern dance teacher went to college with a playwright I know, and the sudden warping of my ideas of generations & age (both of theirs and mine) made my head explode a little bit.

* * *

On food:

Way beyond Turducken [via Serious Eats]

A playwright friend just brought by a bag of ginger molasses cookies that on first bite taste exactly like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Wow.

* * *

And finally, if this time of year makes you grumpy, or you need to feed your holiday cheer addiction, read this. Either way it'll work.

8 comments:

Briel said...

the link that you claim is for DopDop actually links to the blog about the Santa Letters project, which just makes me feel like a bad person for wanting to see where you get your hair done as opposed to wanting to help impoverished children who want black boots for Christmas...so I thought you should know.

Jaime said...

Thanks Briel. All fixed now.

Briel said...

thanks. and your haircut is less obscenely priced than mine, if that helps at all.

Anonymous said...

is it good or bad that the cookies tasted like cereal? Damn, I hope that's a good thing. I've never had Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I just saw a Dove Parlour drink recipe in a magazine for a "Peach Crumble" drink with peach-flavored vodka, soy milk and cinnamon. Potentially delicious or downright bad.

Jaime said...

Anon - yes, it's a very good thing. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is delicious. And I had the Peach drink, though I think now it's called Peach Cobbler, and it was also delicious.

Anonymous said...

It was "Peach Cobbler." My mistake. It was in October's Gotham magazine which I was reading in my doctor's office today ....

Need to check out CTC in 2008. I'm over Trader Joe's Raisin Bran.

Allison said...

I need to give a little love to Cyrano. It's a play from a different era, so the pace and plot are not ideal to some sensibilities...

But the language is so rich and fun. And the story is simply archetypal. And, for those of us more stage-combat-oriented (or those who were before we got old and boring) there is no play more fun. Ah, rapier days...

Jaime said...

As far as I remember, and I did sort of check out early on, this production involved one swordfight, and it was about a 7 out of 10. And then led to a moment of such jarring tone shift that I probably have to deduct extra points.

archives