03 April 2008

Story of My Life

Last night, Tie Fighter Nick and I went to opening night of the Gen Art film festival and after-party. (Sponsored by Acura! And Johnny Walker! Johnny Walker sours!! Wait, what?) Highlights: I lost my cell phone; we left as Jeff Perry was walking in.

* * *

[I called the restaurant where the party was, and although I couldn't ID my phone by remembering the backdrop picture - a boat that I like to think is the Clearwater Sloop, which I took a picture of from pier 84 - I know my own phone number and was able to prove my ownership by calling. I will be picking it up tonight. Phew.]

* * *

At dinner Monday with a smart, funny, attractive, mostly-homosexual dear friend, much conversation was devoted to how dating completely sucks (with a small foray into how we'd both probably have it easier if we liked chicks - he'd get married, I'd cut my hair short). And then the fortune cookies came.

Mine: You will be wise not to seek too much from others.
His: Stop looking for happiness. It is right next to you.

Look, I don't need my fortune cookies telling me to fuck it, give up and settle into a sexless marriage of convenience, okay? The rest of my life is getting that message across just well enough without fucking Confucius chiming in.

2 comments:

riese said...

that second fortune convinced my parents not to get divorced in 1991 (my Dad got it, he was sitting next to my Mom), and then I got it last May and it seemed fateful I should stay with my girlfriend at the time who was sitting next to me. Now I'm starting to feel like they're mass producing that particular fortune to a level I might deem "out of control." I mean, the wording differs slightly ("Stop looking, the happiness you seek is right next to you" was the intergenerational fortune we received)

Moxie said...

Hey, I was there at the Gen Art screening! I didn't see you, though.

archives