20 June 2008

It Lives On In My Heart

Having been in Denver last week, I missed the first weekend (and last week of rehearsals - eep) of The Honest-to-God True Story of the Atheist. But last night I finally made it and got to see what a weird, wonderful production this weird, wonderful script has turned into. Isaac and I debriefed this morning:


Isaac: I'm so glad you loved it even though we took out all of your favorite jokes! Does it make you feel weird inside that all of your favorite jokes are about racism and the holocaust?

Me: Does it make *you* feel weird that all of my favorite jokes are about racism and the holocaust?

Isaac: No. It makes me happy to be your friend.

(Aww.) I really love this show. (And understand why my favorite jokes have had to be cut, even though I feel a little persecuted for it.) It's remarkably slippery, a great example of a play's structure reflecting and amplifying its theme. It's also pretty absurdly silly and fun. Even without the part with the Holocaust joke.

Tonight's sold out, but there are still tickets available for tomorrow. And then that's it! No more chances! Until our Broadway transfer in 2009. Get tickets here. You can read what other people have had to say about it here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

archives