26 August 2008

Kittens? Check. Tattooed Bikers? Check. Supremely Endearingly Neurotic Playwright? Check!

Two awesome articles and accompanying slide shows from this weekend's Times:

Heaven's Angels "They meant no harm. Clad in leather, inked to the hilt in skulls and dragons, with images of bloodied barbed wire looped about their necks, they shared something else — a peculiar tenderness for animals, and the intensity needed to act on the animals’ behalf when people abuse them." [via CuteOverload, natch.] The slideshow is almost unbearable. "Totally fucking awesome" comes to mind:


A New Play and Much Else to Worry About Okay, so here's my Nicky Silver story: A few years ago I was helping out at the Vineyard's spring gala. I was working the check-in table, and when Nicky arrived, he couldn't bear the thought of going upstairs and mingling, talking to people, so he sat between me and Claire and checked people in. Which basically meant insulting them. He told one hot-shit little actor in torn jeans and a t-shirt to go home and change. "Seriously." It was one of the funniest evenings of my life. I have since also actually read some of his plays, and love them, and saw Nicky perform in his own play in the Vineyard Lab, and I continue to love the man. And what a way with words:

...and “Fat Men in Skirts,” where the young man rapes his mother - which is, I swear, fiction - people think I must have a mother who is quite colorful and scary. She is colorful, but she’s not really scary. She’s fine
. She’s a nice little lady now. She’s tired. Life is so long. I am so exhausted.


I was Google-image-search investigating my theory that every publicity photo of Nicky Silver features a cigarette (okay, it's probably just one other photo, which is NOT ON THE INTERNET) when I got derailed by this, possibly the best picture ever, which is actually just what happens when you're at the Vineyard gala and you don't let Nicky Silver hide out at the check-in table:


(It goes on.)

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Oh my god, those bikers -- those animals -- I'm getting all misty.

I saw that Nicky Silver slideshow, too, and thought that picture was awesome.

archives