25 November 2008

Celebrate!

We may be counting down till it's time to leave for Thnxgiving (4 1/2 hours), but today's a day to celebrate in its own right - Evacuation Day! Gawker fills us in on this awesome day, commemorating when the British finally got their asses out of here, and someone greased a flagpole, and someone else had to climb it.

I'm heading up to my mom's house (4 hours and 27 minutes!!) tonight, and spending the next two days cooking. My mom was all, Waa, I don't want to cook for Thanksgiving this year! and I was like, Woman! I will do the cooking! Except for the turkey because I am a vegetarian and that is icky! So I am forcing on my family a beet and arugula salad, Brussels sprouts, and pumpkin pie with a secret ingredient (hint: TOFU), among other things. They will eat my elitist semi-vegan food and THEY WILL LIKE IT.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's Evacuation Day! And 4 hours and 24 minutes of work left to go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to go to mcdonalds and bring it back home to eat at the table because my hillbilly ass wont eat none of that fancy city-folk food.

yee ha.

marissa

Rocco said...

fyi: These are the best biscuits under the sun. I'd post it on my blog, but I can't find a way to make it theatrical enough.

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/11/great-relief.html

anna said...

i love me some chocolate tofu pie (and tofu in general, of course) but tofu pumpkin pie? why necessary? does it add? the way i make it there's double the pumpkin, double the spices, and just a couple ounces of evaporated milk - seems easily replaceable with soy milk. actually, the pumpkin pie i'm making my family in still in the oven. mm, smells good.

Jaime said...

Anonymous sister - I love you.

Rocco - You don't see that stopping me, do you!

Anna - It's not tofu pie like chocolate tofu pie - the tofu replaces the egg and helps it firm up. I've made vegan pumpkin pie before with soy milk, and it's come out dark and watery. With the tofu and cornstarch, I think this'll be more like regular pumpkin pie. Sure looks it - http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2008/11/veggie-might-of-pumpkins-and-baked.html. But no, I am not roasting my own pumpkins.

The Mouse said...

That sounds GOOD. I like me some pumpkin.

archives