06 December 2008

Tonight & Tomorrow

This is in case you're reading this right now all, Gosh, I wonder if there's any great theatre happening this weekend. You might be thinking, If there's something closing on Sunday, I really ought to see it now. Maybe I'm in the mood for something adventurous, interesting, and awesome, a strange journey that's mysterious but also, somehow, makes total sense. And, I'd love something funny and spooky and beautiful and a little sad. I demand that the cast be uniformly wonderful, and I want a gorgeous, rich theatrical experience. Well, I have the thing for you. As long as you are not also thinking, Man, there is nothing in the world I hate more than being scared. No sudden loud noises please! As long as you're not also thinking that.

Because here is the thing: I am a pussy.

But maybe you are not! Maybe you will not be constantly a little bit distracted by the sense that someone might creep up through the darkness. Maybe you can handle a creepy atmosphere. Maybe you are not a pussy.

In that case, you should totally see this show.

If you are a pussy, just don't sit all exposed in the front row on the aisle. Pack yourself in between some people a few rows back, and grow a pair.

It is not a scary show - there's a lot that's funny or sweet or beautiful. But there is an incredibly artfully wrought atmosphere, which for me meant a pervasive spookedness. And no, no one ever creeps up through the darkness when you're not looking to yell, "BOO!"

Oh, btw, the play is Cape Disappointment, from The Debate Society, and it's playing at PS122 tonight (8pm and 10:30pm) and Sunday (6pm). You can get 2-for-1 tickets for the late show tonight with code "BRICK."

No comments:

archives