07 March 2009

2008 Was So Long Ago: Top 10 Books of So Long Ago

Right around when my blogging mojo was lost to the winter solstice and laziness, I was doing a lot of promising of my Top Several Plays and Books of 2008. I don't imagine anyone really cares any more - author included - but I want to clean out the sidebar lists of books and plays, and I like keeping track for posterity. Last year it was 5 top books and 10 plays. This year, I think things turned out different. To start:

Top 10 Books of 2008
(read in 2008, obvs, not published therein)
(in the order in which they were read)
Good Calories, Bad Calories The first half is hardcore science. The whole thing will make you reconsider how you see food, health, and diet.
Atonement Once I got past the parts covered in the movie trailer and could get Keira Knightly out of my head, this was an incredibly engrossing novel, with a punch-in-the-gut ending that's really amazing.
The Yiddish Policemen's Union Michael Chabon puts words together in ways that make my head explode just a little bit because of what it makes me see, and his characters make my heart hurt in the most wonderful way.
Persepolis Gorgeous graphic novel, beautiful and important story.
The Children's Hospital Oh god, I never blogged about this one, did I. Shit. Because if there's a single book I read this year that I want you to know about, this is it. A huge, ambitious, frightening, beautiful, funny, heartbreaking book. You must read this. As with Atonement, don't finish it in public or right before going into a staff meeting.
Palestine Another great graphic novel. Journalism. Awesome.
Never Let Me Go I'm not without reservations about this book, but when it's good it's so very good. And comes printed in a heart-stoppingly lovely font.
The Omnivore's Dilemma Yes, this book. I have a friend who won't read it because she doesn't want to feel guilty about her choices, but this book isn't about shaming you into austerity. I think it's important to know, so that when you make your choices, you're not blind. I wish I had a bag of Doritos on my desk right now as evidence. (Really. For "evidence.")
A Short History of Nearly Everything A veritable orgy of science and science history. Nerd heaven, and a wonderful read.

Other good ones: Swish; Whatever It Takes; The Graveyard Book; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

Totally awesome but I was rereading so they don't count: The Corrections; White Noise; A Wrinkle in Time.

Everything: Good Calories, Bad Calories; Atonement; Skinny Bitch; The Yiddish Policemen's Union; Persepolis; Don't Think of an Elephant; The Book of Other People; The Children's Hospital; The Corrections; Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim; White Noise; Full Frontal Feminism; How to Eat Like a Hot Chick; Watchmen; True Enough; Eat the Document; Swish; Palestine; I Was Told There'd Be Cake; Never Let Me Go; The Omnivore's Dilemma; A Short History of Nearly Everything; A Wrinkle in Time; Whatever It Takes; The Graveyard Book; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

No comments:

archives