19 July 2009

Veeeeeeeeeegan IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIce Cream

Okay, I'm not vegan, though often mistaken for such, being a lactose-intolerant Pollanite vegetarian. Fair mistake. And last night, this lactose-intolerant Pollanite vegetarian found herself in the East Village, with some time to kill, a lovely summer dusk breeze, and a hankering for a milkshake. It may have been the proximity to Atlas Cafe, home to delicious vegetarian Moroccan chicken but, I have finally experienced enough times to remember, really disappointing vegan soft-serve and over-sweet under-thick shakes. I vaguely remembered sorta recently hearing about a new vegan ice cream shoppe in the neighborhood, so I pulled out the ole Nokia flip-phone for a little Google Text action. "Vegan ice cream 10003," I sent, guestimating the zip code. And back came the message:

Local Listings:
Lula's Sweet Apothecary
516 East 6th Street

Bingo. I called the accompanying number to make sure 516 wasn't at, like, Avenue D, and upon learning that it's between A and B, I set out. As I crossed Avenue A I saw a punk lesbian couple walking towards me, ice cream cones in hand. I knew I was close.

Lula's is an adorable shop(pe), earning the Apothecary name well with glass jars of confections and more mysterious artifacts on higher shelves. It's small, but folks were nonetheless occupying the counter stools, and I can't blame them, because the place is a dream. The atmosphere is lovely, a touch quaint and pretty serene despite the crowdedness that a mere 8 or so people brought on. Two folks were working behind the counter, one of whom had the air of proprietress. She offered me unlimited taste-testings (I remember Maple Nut, Coconut Fudge, Brownie Batter, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Cake Batter soft-serve... I was indecisive and excited) and jumped in with mad knowledge when the other scooper didn't really know what gluten-free meant to answer some inquisitive girls (who thought it had to do with sugar). Most of the flavors are nut-based - cashew milk for the most part, or else coconut for the coconut flavor - and a couple more are soy. All were delicious. I'm not exactly a vegan ice cream connoisseur, but I've tried my fair share, and this was definitely the best, both in could-pass-for-dairy and general deliciousness.

I walked out with a small cone of chocolate and coconut fudge, and it was absolute bliss. It's a little like when I go to a vegan restaurant and end up euphorically overwhelmed with the options - this is what it's like for other people all the time? - but so much better. Because it was ICE CREAM. Vegan ice cream. I think I'm in love.

1 comment:

Jarrod Fischer said...

have you tried "coconut bliss" brand ice cream? amelia and i found it, and it's really excellent. the coconut flavor is very subtle, and the chocolate is dark and delicious. we find it in lots of markets out here - not sure about where you are. but keep an eye open.

archives