26 August 2009

Africa Dispatch III: Radio silent for a while

A few years ago, one of my best friends left theatre to go save the world. She'd been working in fundraising, and, coupled with some general job dissatisfaction, she figured, "If I'm gonna be raising money, I might as well be saving babies." And so now that's what she does, more or less. She works for an amazing charity that does work all over the world. This friend, whom we'll call Sydney Bristow (and her husband will be Vaughn, but no, she doesn't work for the CIA) so I don't get her fired or anything, works in the organization's NYC office, but is currently in Africa, having gotten the chance to spend a few weeks there visiting some of the org's sites. She's been sending email updates to family and a few friends, and I asked if I could share them with the internet. Maybe it's the malaria, but she agreed.

8/11/09


i'm leaving the capital tomorrow morning and email will be spotty for a while.
i have a cell phone now though so vaughn will be able to email every few days to let you guys know hes spoken to me

today was my first emotional day. i spoke with a woman on the forefront of the aids activist community here. she is so inspiring and brave and fighting such an uphill battle. she was a founding board member of Global Fund (think Bono) and still has to run around begging favors of connections because there was a stock out of the drugs she is on and cant get treatment. and this is one of the most well connected people in the hiv community
crazy

the food here is really good
i will not be losing weight
people are really friendly too. and i've learned the word for "white girl"... mzunga. children will run up to me on the street and say "Hello mzunga" and run away giggling.

No comments:

archives