29 August 2009

Africa Dispatch V: Mostly beautiful things

A few years ago, one of my best friends left theatre to go save the world. She'd been working in fundraising, and, coupled with some general job dissatisfaction, she figured, "If I'm gonna be raising money, I might as well be saving babies." And so now that's what she does, more or less. She works for an amazing charity that does work all over the world. This friend, whom we'll call Sydney Bristow (and her husband will be Vaughn, but no, she doesn't work for the CIA) so I don't get her fired or anything, works in the organization's NYC office, but is currently in Africa, having gotten the chance to spend a few weeks there visiting some of the org's sites. She's been sending email updates to family and a few friends, and I asked if I could share them with the internet. Maybe it's the malaria, but she agreed.

8/20/09

In Arua so I'll be able to email with some frequency again.
The last few days have been amazing.
I saw hippos and elephants, a lightning sotrm, the milky way and more stars than i thought imaginable. and a lightning storm that turned the sky red..
i've also learned that the two most beautiful words in the english language are "flush toilet." i've gotten good at holding a flashlight between my teeth when i pee.
my arms are two different colors from having a combo of drivers tan and farmers tan.
i love you all and miss you
it feels very far away.

i'lll write again soon

No comments:

archives